This classic hot chocolate recipe is perfect for when you need something warm and comforting as the evenings draw in. A dash of rum takes this classic cup of cocoa to the next level.
You can substitute the rum for almost any spirit you like, but whiskey, brandy or Irish Cream are all classics that work well.
Garnish with candy canes and marshmallows for a festive look!
Tip: Warm the mugs before adding the hot chocolate to keep it piping hot. Pop the mug in the microwave for a few seconds or use hot water from the kettle.
Rum hot chocolate recipe
Delicious hot cocoa with a warming dash of rum.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp fine granulated sugar
- 1.75 ounce semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1.5 ounce rum
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- grated chocolate, cocoa powder, marshmallows, candy canes (optional garnish)
- Heat the milk, cocoa, sugar and chocolate in a small pan over a medium heat until steaming and the chocolate has melted. Whisk to dissolve the cocoa.
- Pour into a mug, then add the cream to float on top.
- Garnish with a little more chocolate, cocoa powder and marshmallows to serve (optional).
Did you know…
The first cocoa powder producing machine was developed in 1828, in The Netherlands, by Coenraad Johannes van Houten.